Education Abroad

Students who enroll in a study abroad program that has been approved for credit by WWU can be considered for financial aid in most cases.

Participation in an Education Abroad program offers students a valuable academic and cross-cultural experience. A successful experience requires careful and thorough planning.


  • Start the planning process by contacting the Education Abroad Office.
  • Consider whether you intend to use financial aid to help fund your program:
    • Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for federal and, if you are a resident, state financial aid.
    • Review the Financial Aid Checklist to ensure you have completed important steps necessary for general financial aid eligibility.
    • Visit the Financial Aid Services Center after working with Education Abroad to discuss your eligibility or if you have additional questions.
    • Often, programs will allow payments to be deferred if you are using financial aid to fund your program. Contact our office for assistance with completing required paperwork.

Financial Aid Funding for Education Abroad Programs

As a regular Western student enrolled in an approved education abroad program, your financial aid offer will be reviewed for eligibility. Your cost of attendance will be increased or decreased depending on the approved study abroad cost of attendance. Your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) will not change; therefore, if the approved program cost is greater than the standard cost of attendance, your financial need increases. Similarly, if the approved program costs are lower than the standard cost of attendance, your financial need is reduced. Your actual financial aid offer will depend on your aid eligibility and availability of funds. Many of the aid types available to you as a regular Western student are also eligible to fund your approved study abroad program.

The following aid programs are eligible for use in Education Abroad:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant
  • Federal TEACH Grant
  • Federal Direct Subsidized or Unsubsidized Loans
  • Federal Direct PLUS Loans (Parent PLUS or Graduate PLUS)
  • Washington College Grant
  • College Bound Scholarship
  • Private Scholarships (depending on donor requirements)

The following aid types are not eligible to fund a study abroad program:

  • Work Study
  • Western Grant or Tuition Waiver
  • Admissions Achievement Award, Admissions Recognition Waivers, Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE), or other Admissions Scholarships
  • Multicultural Achievement Program (MAP) Scholarship
  • Other Western Tuition Waivers

Summer Education Abroad Financial Aid Estimator

If you plan on studying abroad during summer quarter, you may use the Summer Education Abroad Loan Estimator to calculate your potential loan eligibility. Additional information for other aid types is available on the summer financial aid page.