Information for Graduating Students

This information is intended for undergraduate students seeking their first bachelor’s degree.  For post-bac students completing their certificate work or second bachelor’s degree or for graduate students please visit those corresponding pages on our website for more information.

For students who have reached senior class standing and/or are nearing graduation, important information about financial aid eligibility is noted below.

Students are encouraged to apply to graduate no later than the last day of classes two quarters prior to their final quarter of enrollment.  In some cases, for financial aid purposes, students may be prompted to apply to graduate prior to this timeline.

Quarterly deadlines for graduation application and fees are noted on the Registrar’s Website.

Once undergraduate students reach 120 credits, they are notified by the Degree Evaluation Office of the upcoming deadlines associated with applying to graduate.

When students submit their application for graduation, they must obtain major and/or minor evaluations and submit these along with the Degree Application to the Degree Evaluation team within the Registrar’s Office.  This information is used to prepare an Official Degree Evaluation showing the courses needed to complete university graduation requirements including those needed for completion of majors and/or minors.  This includes upper division, BCGM, major and minor courses, GURs, etc.  For financial aid purposes, only the courses listed on the Official Degree Evaluation as required may be used to determine financial aid eligibility.

Important: If you are enrolled in more than one baccalaureate degree program (e.g. B.A., B.S., B.F.A.) and are receiving Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), or Federal TEACH Grant, be aware that once you complete the academic requirements for at least one degree, you will no longer be eligible for federal grant funding. You may still be eligible to receive Federal Work Study and Direct Loan, as well as state and institutional funds, if eligible, to complete the requirements of your additional degree(s).

Financial aid eligibility may be impacted in the following ways once a review of the Official Degree Evaluation is complete:

Fundable Enrollment

Coursework required for graduation and listed on the Official Degree Evaluation is used to determine fundable enrollment.  While financial aid does not restrict your enrollment in additional coursework, non-required courses will not be used to calculate fundable enrollment. 

Fundable coursework includes:

  • All of the common requirements listed in the catalog including a minimum of 180 credits, 60 upper division credits, writing proficiency coursework, and GURs.
  • Declared major requirements, including more than one major.
  • Declared minor requirements, including more than one minor.
  • Teaching certificates and endorsements (most other undergraduate certificates are not fundable -- contact the Financial Aid Services Center for details).
  • All required coursework for completion of your baccalaureate degree.  NOTE-If you are enrolled in more than one baccalaureate degree program, once you complete the academic requirements for at least one degree, you will no longer be eligible for federal grant funding.

Many types of financial aid are enrollment sensitive, meaning financial aid is subject to change at different enrollment levels. In general, students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 or more credits for undergraduates) to be eligible for many types of financial aid. If your required coursework allows for full-time enrollment (12 or more credits for undergraduates) there will likely not be any change to your fundable credits. If your required coursework is less than full-time during a quarter, you can expect a reduction in financial aid from the full-time amount.

If your required coursework is less than half-time during one or more of your last quarters, financial aid eligibility may be limited.  Students are ineligible for federal direct loans or tuition waivers at less than half time enrollment. 

Students may be eligible for the following aid types below when enrolled less than half time (1-5 credits for undergraduate students):

  • Washington College Grant, College Bound Scholarship or WA Bridge Grant -- limited funding for 3-5 credits; not eligible at less than 3 credits
  • Federal Pell Grant -- very limited funding
  • Scholarships -- generally not eligible (contact the Scholarship Center for details)
  • Work study -- generally not eligible (contact the Student Employment Center for details)
  • Private Educational Loans-a lender that is willing to lend for less than half time enrollment must be used.

Loan Proration

Proration of a student’s annual Federal Direct Loan limit is required when an undergraduate student is enrolled in a program that will be completed in less than the full academic year. In these situations, Direct Loan eligibility will be based on the number of credits required to complete your degree.

Loan proration can introduce significant affordability problems just as you prepare to graduate. We encourage students visit a financial aid counselor before submitting a degree application to get an estimate of financial aid eligibility in the last year of attendance.

Exceptions: Loan proration requirements do not apply to loans made to students taking preparatory coursework or to postbaccalaureate students enrolled in courses solely for teacher certification.


Work with an academic advisor early on to plan your coursework.  If possible, seek an academic schedule that will provide at least a half-time enrollment each quarter based on required coursework leading up to graduation.

Degree Applications Made After the Priority Deadline

Once you apply to graduate, if you have already received financial aid, you may be subject to a repayment of some or all of your paid financial aid in accordance with federal regulations. The Official Degree Evaluation may indicate that your fundable enrollment differs from your actual enrollment and an adjustment of your aid may need to be made.