At Western Washington University, we strive to support our students with financial assistance through grants, scholarships, Work Study, and loan programs.

We are available by phone, in person or email to assist you with any financial aid related questions year-round. For more complex questions an appointment with a financial aid counselor may be scheduled.

We have many useful tools to help you understand your estimated aid eligibility using the Net Price Calculator, your Cost of Attendance (COA), and how to budget your educational expenses.

Trending FAQs

How does applying to graduate affect financial aid?

During your senior year you must apply to graduate. The Registrar's Office will prepare an Official Degree Evaluation showing the courses you need to complete the graduation requirements for your program. Only the courses listed on the Official Degree Evaluation may be used to determine financial aid eligibility.

Learn More about Financial Aid & Graduation

How do I request a revision to my financial aid based on a change in financial circumstances?

In some cases, the standard cost of attendance will not meet the needs of students. Requests to increase your budget for extraordinary educational costs incurred during the academic year can be submitted. However, the amount already included in the standard budget will be factored into any adjustment.

Learn more about Cost of Attendance Changes

How do I appeal if I was suspended for Satisfactory Academic Progress?

Students placed on financial aid suspension may appeal for aid reinstatement if unusual circumstances prevented them from meeting satisfactory academic progress requirements. Reinstatement is not guaranteed, and appeal approvals do not reinstate aid retroactively.

Learn more about Requirements to Maintain Aid


Free Tax Return Help is Available For students and community members, the IRS’ Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA), which has been helping taxpayers for over 50 years, is available to assist in filing a tax return.

Contact our office if you have been impacted by flooding and would like to discuss your financial aid.

Due to FAFSA Simplification, the 2024-2025 FAFSA has significant changes in terminology.  The application is now open and students are encouraged to complete it as soon as possible and if able before the updated extended Priority Deadline of April 1, 2024. 

Contact us with any questions or for assistance.

For WA State residents who are ineligible to apply for federal student aid due to citizenship status, the Washington Application for State Aid (WASFA) is now open for the 2024-2025 aid year.

Complete it as soon as possible and before the extended Priority Deadline of April 1, 2024.

Contact the Scholarship Center with any questions or for assistance.

Grants and Scholarships for Western Students

Staircase sculpture in the communication buildings lawn

Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA)* to apply for financial aid for your education at Western. 

We encourage every applicant, new student, and continuing student to apply for financial aid as soon as possible.

Complete the FAFSA 

Complete the WASFA*

Western's Federal School Code is 003802. This code is used for all WWU campuses and locations.

*Washington state residents ineligible to complete the FAFSA due to immigration status may apply for state financial aid by completing the WASFA instead.